The Desert IndependentTM
Serving Blythe and the Desert Regions of the Southwest Since 2001
10-year-old overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in boating incident
October 22, 2019
NEEDLES, Calif – On Saturday, October 19 at 12:27p.m., deputies from the San Bernardino County Sheriff - Colorado River Station responded to Park Moabi after getting a report of a child not breathing. The 10-year-old girl was pulled from the water and taken to the shore prior to the arrival of deputies.
Through an investigation it was discovered the girl, by the direction of a parent, was attempting place a bilge plug in the transom of a beached vessel while the motor was still running. While doing so, the girl was overcome by exhaust fumes from the vessel's motor. She became unconscious and went under the surface of the water. She was pulled from the water by a family member and initially was not breathing, but shortly thereafter she again began breathing and regained consciousness.
The girl was flown to a hospital in Las Vegas for further treatment.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department's Marine Enforcement Unit wants to remind the boating public of the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide poisoning is more common while operating boats because of the lack of an emission system. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in the bloodstream. When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, the body replaces the oxygen in the red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious tissue damage or even death.
Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to contact Deputy B. Weck with the Marine Enforcement Unit at (760) 326-9200.
Persons charged with a crime are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Please refer all comments to The Desert Independent's Facebook Page.